123 | In Person Training | Update | Scheduled
Accounting Six Pack - VIRTUAL
Wednesday, September 30, 2020 8:30am - 4:00pm
Pandemic Update: With all the changes this pandemic has brought, we understand you may have questions and concerns regarding continuing education offered by the Society. The safety of our attendees, discussion leaders and staff is always top of mind and our number one priority is to continue offering CPE options as safely as possible with the same quality and quantity you have come to expect. Please visit our Pandemic and OSCPA CPE: What to Expect page for more information.
This course will provide an introduction to current and forthcoming accounting issues for accountants in industry and the CPAs who serve them. Each module will have 1.5 CPE hours devoted to them. The focus will be on issues most relevant to CPAs who work with or for small-to-medium sized clients. Extensive examples and real-life illustrations will be used. Materials are continually updated in the light of new standards and developments.
- Select the topics to be covered in this seminar based on your interests.
- Obtain a broad-based understanding of a wide range of accounting issues today and in the coming 12 months.
- Understand how SEC, AcSEC, EITF, ASB, and IASB are adapting to demands for different, more timely, and accurate financial information.
- Ray Thompson (view bio)
- CPAs in industry who prepare and analyze financial reports
- CPAs in public practice who need an overview of current accounting standards
This course is also offered as a live stream.
- Select up to six modules:
- 1. FASB overview
- 2. Revenue recognition
- 3. Lease accounting
- 4. Financial instrument accounting
- 5. Contingencies, going concern and subsequent events
- 6. Private company reporting update
- 7. Cash flow reporting
- 8. Business combination accounting
- 9. A practical guide to impairment
- 10. Fair value accounting: SFAS 157 and its ongoing impact
- 11. Principles-based accounting
- 12. Related parties and fraud - update
- 13. Internal control update - impact of COSO revisions
- 14. Cybersecurity: accounting and audit consequences
- 15. SSARS 21: What's new in compilation and review
- 16. Auditing Standards Board update
Ray Thompson is Emeritus Associate Professor of Accounting & Finance at the University of Pittsburgh. He served as department head at the UPJ campus for over 25 years. He was also Associate Director of UPJ’s Entrepreneurial Development Assistance Project, where he was involved in financial consulting and assisting in preparing loan proposals for small business start-ups. Dr. Thompson has taught in graduate and undergraduate business programs in Europe, Africa and the US. He received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Economics and Systems Dynamics from the University of Bradford in the United Kingdom, his M.B.A. in Accounting from Xavier University of Ohio, and his Doctor of Business Administration from Nova University.
Dr. Thompson is also certified in Financial Management and is a Certified Management Accountant, a Certified Business Appraiser and holds Accredited Valuation Analyst credential from NACVA. He recently became certified in International Financial Reporting Standards though the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Dr. Thompson is a professional educator and writer. He authors and conducts professional development seminars for Fortune 500 and international corporations, multinational financial institutions, State CPA Societies, and CPA firms throughout the US. In addition to these live seminars, he also produces both recorded and written courses for self-study. He also provides business valuation services and consults with accounting firms and sole practitioners on a range of accounting issues in the area of valuation. Ray was part of the George & Ray team, which offered Accounting & Auditing courses for over 20 years.
Dr. Thompson is a member of the Institute of Management Accountants and the Institute of Business Appraisers. He is also a faculty associate member of AICPA and PICPA, and is a member of the Financial Reporting Faculty of ICAEW.