233 | In Person Training | Update | Scheduled
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: A Guide to the Most Sweeping Tax Reform in Over 30 Years
Thursday, November 1, 2018 8:30am - 12:00pm
With the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act signed by President Trump on Dec. 22, 2017, the long road to tax reform has brought us the largest overhaul to the tax code since 1986. The widespread changes affect many aspects of individual and business taxes beginning in 2018, and your clients will be coming to you with a myriad of concerns and planning questions. Don't get caught off guard. This course will get you up-to-speed on all of the critical aspects of the new law and prepare you to effectively advise both your individual and business clients.
- Understand and apply the categorical changes in the tax law brought about by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Robert R. Thelen (view bio)
Tax practitioners seeking to understand the new tax legislation and how it impacts their clients
- Reduction in individual and corporate tax rates
- Taxation of pass-through entities
- Deduction of home mortgage interest
- State and local tax deductions
- New alimony rules
- Repeal of the Obamacare individual mandate
- Standard deduction and itemized deductions
- Child tax credit
- Use of 529 accounts
- Survival of personal AMT and repeal of corporate AMT
- Estate and gift tax
- New limitations on business losses
- New depreciation rules and 179 expensing
- Business interest
- Modification of NOL rules
- New credit for employer-paid family and medical leave
- Repatriation of foreign funds
Robert R. Thelen
Robert R. Thelen, CPA is the owner of Robert R. Thelen, CPA, Ltd., a small practice located in Cold Spring, Minnesota. His areas of expertise and lecturing are in the areas of: individual and entity tax planning and preparation; payroll taxes and 1099 issues; retirement planning, Social Security and Medicare planning, and representing clients before taxing agencies.
Mr. Thelen was president and CEO of WealthCare, Inc., in Cold Spring, Minnesota from 1992-2008. He was also manager of the tax department for Larson Allen Weishair and Co, LLC, in Minneapolis, Minnesota from 1989-1992. He was a tax auditor and revenue officer for the Internal Revenue Service in St. Paul, Minnesota from 1980-1989.
Mr. Thelen started his professional career as a Revenue Officer and then a Tax Auditor with the Internal Revenue Service from 1980-1989. Following the IRS, he was a manager in the tax department of a large regional CPA firm. He was president, CEO, and sole shareholder of a financial services company from 1992-2008. The company was heavily involved with income tax returns; payroll preparation and reporting; pension plan administration and compliance; retirement and individual financial planning; life, health, and property/casualty insurance planning and sales; and representing clients before taxing agencies.
Mr. Thelen holds a Masters of Pastoral Ministry from St. John's University School of Theology. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts from Metropolitan State University.