66148 | Webcasts & Webinars | Advanced | Scheduled
Surgent's Advanced Individual Income Tax Return Issues
Friday, January 21, 2022 8:00am - 4:00pm
Most CPAs have been preparing individual income tax returns for years, and while many of the returns are easy, there are always a number of issues that come up in busy season of which experienced practitioners wish they had more knowledge. This course is designed to explore the tough tax issues for experienced practitioners and help them provide better planning strategies and results for their higher income clients.
- Understand how to properly report advanced transactions in financial instruments and investments
- Understand the special problems and new issues for the current return
- Understand the business loss limitation rules and how to calculate the deductible loss
- Deborah A. Phillips (view bio)
Experienced CPAs who want and need an in-depth knowledge of the most difficult individual-income-tax-return issues
- Understanding the special problems and new issues for the current year tax return
- How to determine the §199A deduction and when rental property qualifies for the §199A deduction
- Installment sales -- understanding the complicated issues
- Form 8582: Passive losses with carryovers -- Complicated case with filled-in forms
- Capital gain and loss issues -- The problem with proper reporting of installment sales issues; when is a stock worthless; and much more…
- At-risk rules: What a return preparer really needs to know
- Passive loss issues -- You can’t just trust your software. What to watch out for, and the questions you need your clients to answer in order to do it right!
- Incentive and nonqualified stock options -- Reporting; key strategies for planning; dealing with the alternative minimum tax
- Alternative minimum tax -- Understanding it; planning strategies to avoid it; using the minimum tax credit; explaining it to a client
- The business loss limitation rules – Understanding the business loss limitation rules and the associated calculations
<div><br /> </div> </li>
Deborah A. Phillips
Deborah A. Phillips, MST, CPA, is a Senior Manager in the Flow Through Issue Practice Group (IPG) in Pre-filing Technical Guidance (PFTG) in the Large Business and International Division (LB&I) of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This IPG specializes in S corporation and partnership tax issues in LB&I.
Ms. Phillips began her career with the IRS more than 31 years ago and has extensive accounting and taxation knowledge of individual, corporate, and partnership federal tax returns. She was the Operations Executive Assistant to the Deputy Commission International, the Technical Executive Assistant to the Director of PFTG, a Territory Manager in the Retail, Food and Pharmaceuticals Industry, a Team Manager in the Heavy Manufacturing Industry and the IRC Section 263A Technical Advisor. She taught graduate and undergraduate courses in accounting and taxation as an adjunct faculty member at Delaware State University, Wilmington College, and Goldey-Beacom College. She has been a seminar presenter for over 17 years as well as a respected instructor within the IRS.
Ms. Phillips earned her master’s degree in taxation from Widener University.